If you are visiting Brighton Periodontal & Implant Dental Group for oral surgery in Woodland Hills, California, our dentists and team members will provide you with pre- and post-operative instructions. If you have any questions regarding your surgery or any of the treatments at our office, call (818)703-7733 to speak with our team or schedule with Dr. Homayoun H. Zadeh and associates.
- Please provide us with the name and telephone number of your primary care physician.
- Medications: It is important to notify us of any medication that you are taking. This includes prescription medications, vitamins or supplements, and over-the-counter pain relievers. It is also vital that you inform us of any allergies that you may have or any prescriptions to which you are known to have an adverse reaction.
- If you are prescribed an antibiotic to take prior to your surgery, please take it as instructed.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing and flat-soled shoes to the office on the day of your surgery. Leave all jewelry at home and do not wear any perfume or cologne.
- If you will be receiving a sedative for your surgery, you will need to arrange for a ride home from our office.
- If you have been prescribed any narcotic pain medications (such as Vicodin, Coedine, Norco, Hydrocodone, Oxytocine, etc.), please be aware that these medications, while they are better in controlling pain, may make you drowsy. Please refrain from driving, operating heavy machinery, or making any important decisions while under the influence of the medication. These medications should also be taken with food.
- Most patients are given Toradol after surgery. You can start taking the prescribed medication after 5 hours.
- Take the prescribed pain medication for the first two days after the surgery even if you do not experience discomfort. It is harder to stop pain when it starts.
- Arnica Montana 30C – Start taking Arnica 5 days prior to surgery. Place 5 tablets under the tongue at least three times a day until it dissolves, continue to take 5 days after surgery.
- Bromelain 500mg – Start on the day of the surgery. Take 1 tablet twice a day for seven days.
- Turmeric 300 mg – Start on the day of the surgery. Take 1 tablet three times a day for seven days.
- Place the provided ice pack in the area of surgery for 15-20 minutes on and 15-20 minutes off at a time for the first 24 hours to minimize swelling.
Bleeding Prevention/In Case of Bleeding
- DO NOT rinse or spit on the first day; they will for a vacuum in the mouth and cause bleeding.
- Smoking and drinking alcohol is not advised on the first week of surgery.
- Do not drink from a straw.
- No strenuous activity; no lifting over 10 lbs.; Do not lift or pull on the lip to look at the suture.
- Slight oozing is expected on the first few days. A moist, regular tea bag applied to the area may help to stop the bleeding. Keep the tea bag in the area for at least 20 minutes. If bleeding persists, please call the office immediately.
- After a sinus lift, you are not allowed to blow your nose to prevent the air from irritating the sinus; after a sinus lift, it is recommended to use a pillow for a few days and not lie flat after surgery; it is also recommended not to take an airplane trip or swim for at least a week. If you sneeze, do it with your mouth open to avoid unnecessary pressure.
***DO NOT use a waterpik or electric toothbrush until instructed.
- Nutrition is important to the healing of surgery. Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Do not eat until the anesthetic wears off.
- Eat lukewarm and semi-solid food and stay away from salads, hot and spicy foods and meats.
Brushing: Meticulous oral hygiene will promote faster healing and prevent potential infection
- First Day – Dip the red toothbrush in the prescribed mouthwash and use it to clean your whole mouth.
- 2nd day to 7th day – You can resume using your regular toothbrush and toothpaste except on the surgery site. Gently brush the teeth involved in the surgery if not covered with a dressing with the red toothbrush dipped in the prescribed solution.
- Take the full course of the prescribed antibiotic until gone.
**If the antibiotics or other prescribed medication have any ill-effects, please stop taking the antibiotics and call us immediately.
Dressing/Bone Graft Material
- If the surgical areal has been covered with a dressing, it is possible that either part or all of it might fall.
- It is expected that a little of the excess bone particles to work its way out of the site as it heals. If the sutures are loose and there are a lot of bone particles coming out, please call our office.
- Do not apply pressure with your tongue or fingers to the grafted area as the material is moveable during the initial healing.
Post-Implant Care Instructions
At Brighton Periodontal & Implant Dental Group, our dentists, Dr. Homayoun H. Zadeh, Dr. Ali Zadeh, Dr. Sara Tanavoli and Dr. Karen Wager, can restore your smile and boost your oral health with dental implants. But whether or not your treatment is successful depends on what you do after your visit. You need to be committed to brushing and flossing, maintaining good habits and seeing us for your follow-up appointments. There are also steps you can take after your visit to ensure that you heal properly and that your implants serve you well for the rest of your life.
- After you come home from the office, do not rinse your mouth for the rest of the day.
- The next day, you can rinse with a mixture of salt and warm water every two to three hours over the next several days. Start by rinsing your mouth after meals and before bed.
- You can gently brush your teeth the day after you receive your implants but avoid the implant sites.
- Take all prescribed medications and be sure to finish your prescription.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers can help you feel comfortable and a cold compress can bring down any swelling. Switch to a warm compress after 48 hours.
- Avoid tobacco use to keep your implants from failing. This may be a good time to kick the habit.
- If you have been given a denture or other appliance, do not wear it until instructed to do so by the dentist.
- Do not operate any heavy equipment for the first 48 hours after your implants are placed.
- Keep your lips moist.
- Do not take any oral contraceptives until you have finished your course of antibiotics.
- Contact the office if you have any questions or problems.
If you would like to see if you are an implant candidate or if you have questions about your implant aftercare in Woodland Hills, California, call our office at818-528-5511 to speak with a member of our team.
Emergency Phone Number: Dr. Zadeh:(818) 703-7733 or(818) 703-0308 | Dr. Tanavoli:(818) 606-7871