At Brighton Periodontal & Implant Dental Group, our dentists, Dr. Homa H. Zadeh, Dr. Ali Zadeh, Dr. Sara Tanavoli and Dr. Karen Wager, can restore your smile and boost your oral health with dental implants. But whether or not your treatment is successful depends on what you do after your visit. You need to be committed to brushing and flossing, maintaining good habits and seeing us for your follow-up appointments. There are also steps you can take after your visit to ensure that you heal properly and that your implants serve you well for the rest of your life.
- After you come home from the office, do not rinse your mouth for the rest of the day.
- The next day, you can rinse with a mixture of salt and warm water every two to three hours over the next several days. Start by rinsing your mouth after meals and before bed.
- You can gently brush your teeth the day after you receive your implants but avoid the implant sites.
- Take all prescribed medications and be sure to finish your prescription.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers can help you feel comfortable and a cold compress can bring down any swelling. Switch to a warm compress after 48 hours.
- Avoid tobacco use to keep your implants from failing. This may be a good time to kick the habit.
- If you have been given a denture or other appliance, do not wear it until instructed to do so by the dentist.
- Do not operate any heavy equipment for the first 48 hours after your implants are placed.
- Keep your lips moist.
- Do not take any oral contraceptives until you have finished your course of antibiotics.
- Contact the office if you have any questions or problems.
If you would like to see if you are an implant candidate or if you have questions about your implant aftercare in Woodland Hills, California, call our office at 818-703-7733 to speak with a member of our team.